Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Another Day Another Beach


Peg, my friend in Fairbanks, said that her mom wanted a picture with all of her kids together. That made me think, I don't have many pictures with both kids looking at the camera and smiling. Thank you Kathy for your request. When I was taking the picture Cort was saying "Say Barnacles", then they both would yell "Barnacles". This is a beach that is only about a half mile form the old housing units. It was a gold mine for periwinkle shells, I think I bought home about 10 whole shells. Which earned this beach the name of "Periwinkle Beach". It was low tide and getting dark. The group of rocks that the kids are in front of spend most of their time under water. Can you see all of the barnacles all over the rocks?

When we were collecting all of the shells, we shook the shells so that we did not bring home any new friends. Well, I found a little crab in one of the shells again. I tried not to let the kids know that it was there, but they figured it out. Then Grandma Sandy called and she convinced me that all kids need to have a critter die in a jar. She asked me how many fuzzy caterpillars, frogs or grasshoppers I put in a jar and killed when I was little. I had no defense, we now have a crab named "Henry". I had to get a picture of Henry's home. In the top picture Cort is holding Henry, The kids had so much fun with him tonight. The last picture is Henry in all his glory, what a handsome crab he is!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great pictures. That's so true about every kid should have a critter die in a jar. I had so many newts and salamanders die in butter dishes. And I had a pet turtle ran over by a lawn mower. I killed several live clams by prying open their shells and poking at them.